Monday, November 08, 2010

A cheesy revelation

This year I really started to enjoy fancy cheeses. Previously I would eat cheddar or monterey jack only because it was safe and mild. In California I learned to enjoy pepper jack which is jalapeno laced monterey jack. No brie, no blue, no swiss, no mozzarella except if it came with pizza.


These days the mozzarella replaced cheddar as the safe cheese and I've been eating more of the soft goat cheese and blue cheese. In my trip to Switzerland this summer I had emmental and gruyere in the fondues and raclettes.


René from my choir had me taste all sorts of cheeses during our Glee soirées and my current favorite right now is the Bleu d'Elizabeth from Central Québec. Here's a good description from Chasing the cheese:


Bleu d’Élizabeth is an organic, cheese made from raw milk from both Holstein and Jersey cow. The cows feed on dry hay but are also pastured on clover, timothy grass, bluegrass and other organic grains. This semi-firm cheese has blue and sometimes green veining, as well as a natural rind. It takes its name from the church rectory of Sainte-Élizabeth de Warwick, located at the front of the farm.



No comments: