Monday, January 04, 2010

Baked Ginger Tofu on Soba

I'm bringing meat dumplings to a party tomorrow and there are two vegetarians in the group. The restaurant doesn't sell frozen vegetarian dumplings so I had to make a dish. With the success of the soba noodle I made for Lanie's x-mas party I decided on it with a ginger tofu dish I like at Le Commensal. I found a copy of the recipe online (in french). The soba dish is copied from my favorite japanese restaurant.

2 tablespoon of no taste (not olive oil) vegetable oil
1 cup of light soy sauce
2 tablespoon of dark soy sauce with mushroom
a 2 x 1/2 inch rhizome of ginger minced

Mix the above in a blender (I used my Magic Bullet) until you get a smooth sauce. Cut firm tofu into slices or cubes. Marinate for more than 3 hours. Bake the tofu in an oven for 30 minutes at 400 F.

soba noodle
finely chopped green onion
toasted sesame seed
nori cut into thin strips
sesame oil
minced ginger and daikon
soy sauce

Cook the soba noodle as indicated on the package, be sure to rinse it 5x with cold water. Toss the noodles with a tiny bit of sesame oil to prevent the noodles from sticking (they shouldn't if you rinsed enough).  Serve with the green onion, sesame seeds and strips of nori. Garnish with the ginger and daikon. Soy sauce is added if you want to eat this by itself.

No comments: