Tuesday, January 19, 2010

restaurant review: Furusato

This is my favorite japanese restaurant in Montreal. I don't eat a lot of raw fish so sushi and sashimi is not what attracts me although Furusato (formerly named Osaka) has never disappointed me on it. I haven't been to Tri Express, Jun-I, 


I prefer dishes that japanese people eat at home rather than the business/bar sushi. I also like appetizers and this place has most of what I was able to have in California. I have tried most of what they offer on the english menu and I often make a meal out of 4 appetizers.


I have been eating here since 2007 when I started to work again and I go at least once a week. The staff knows me well and these days I always get extra food. Here are my favorites:


Chicken Karaage
Shrimp + Vegetable Tempura
Petit Sukiyaki
Fried Squid (no longer available)
Nabeyaki Udon
Tamago (sweet omelet)


On the raw side I like (in sashimi form)


Sake (fresh salmon)
Maguro (tuna)
Toro (fatty tuna, usually belly)
Ikura (salmon roe)
Tobiko (flying fish roe)


Finally there is a special maki using pickled plum (umeboshi) and perilla (shiso) that is a very good combination of tartness and herbal. Shiso (tía tô in vietnamese) is my 2nd favorite herb in the world, after cilantro.


There are some dishes that I like but they don't have: amaebi (raw sweet shrimp), tempura'd "golden" california roll (from Satsuma Sushi in Sunnyvale), fried fish,  Teridon (from Shogun Restaurant in Mountain View), 

No comments: